Go Back   Travel Forum, Travel Forum Tour Adventure, Watch Travel Videos Online > Travel Stories, Guides, Topics and Outdoor Adventure Conversations > Parks in the American West
Login | Register

Old 07-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Romantic Getaways Forum Host / Moderator

Default Tilden Park in the East Bay?

Hi Folks,

I've lived in San Francisco for eight years and have yet to visit Tilden Park! I've checked its website* but would love to hear from the Open Road folks about their experience... Any suggestions on what to do and see would be appreciated.

Thanks much for your thoughts.

Best -
Romantic Ryn

*http://www.ebparks.org/parks/tilden
Old 07-04-2007, 09:19 AM
Food and Parks Forum Co-Host / Moderator

I lived in San Francisco for five years and never made it to Tilden Park, either! I look forward to hearing what other folks say about it.

I can recommend Redwood Regional Park, which is nearby. There are some really nice hiking trails with plenty of shade. It was our favorite place to hike in hot weather because the redwoods kept us cool!

http://www.ebparks.org/parks/redwood
Old 07-13-2007, 03:55 PM

Smile Inspiration Point at Tilden

My husband, baby, dog and I go to Tilden fairly regularly. With a stroller, our favorite walk is straight out from Inspiration Point as the trail is paved. The full trail is fairly long - maybe 5 or so miles each way - but we have a tendancy to walk out past the eucalyptus grove until we reach an unpaved trail that takes you through the Rotary Peace Grove and up a very steep incline to Wildcat Peak, where there is a lookout. I also love to take my family who visit occassionally from Australia to this spot as it offers magnificent views of the San Francisco Bay, as well as back around past Richmond to San Pablo Bay.
Old 07-15-2007, 02:28 PM

Default Take some pictures next time you go.

JenG, I'd love to see the view you describe. I know there are lots of things to remember and organize when you're taking a baby along but how about taking the camera next time? Thanks.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:30 AM

Default Trains and Farm Animals

Tilden is a great place to take kids. They have two train rides that kids will enjoy riding, farm animals, a visitors center and a carousel.
Old 06-03-2008, 02:33 PM

Thumbs up Tilden as "mud-luscious and puddle-wonderful"

Here is a post about Tilden in the rainy season, when it bursts to life with Hawaii-like gushers - no kidding!

http://gambolinman.blogspot.com/2008...lenishing.html
Old 07-14-2008, 07:12 PM

Default Several images from Tilden Park...

I've just posted a story on Tilden Regional Park (link below) and I decided to share the images here so they can be viewed in a larger size. The story contains a description of the Park's many attractions, plus links to the main website and web pages for the main attractions. You can view the story by clicking this link. The photos below were taken during two visits, which accounts for the varying blue and gray skies....

Here's a shot of the City through the haze taken from Grizzly Peak Blvd on the way to the Park from Highway 24 West...

As noted in this thread, Tilden is a great place to take the kids. One of the most popular attractions is the miniature steam train. It's $2 per person per ride, and as you can see, there are as many parents on board as there are children...

Here's the steam engine...

All aboard!

Leaving the station...

Another popular destination is Lake Anza, which offers swimming facilities including a changing area and restrooms. There's a sandy beach and lifeguards are on duty during swim season. There is a small admission fee...

There's a lovely building in the Park called the Brazil Building. It can be rented for weddings and other events. Catering is available. In front there's a large patio with a sweeping view over a large lawn...

The Park also has a Botanic Garden with no admission fee...

There's a large nature area with a visitor center. The Little Farm is also located in this area, with many animals the kids can see up close and pet...

This is Little Farm...

Here's a scenic trail leading to Jewel Lake...

Finally, here's a shot of the Tilden golf course, and a couple of deer who were in the area...

This one smiled for the camera!...

The Park also has an old fashioned children's carousel, but it was closed for renovation during my visits in June-July, 2008.

I hope you enjoyed the trip!

Cheers,
Mike
Old 12-02-2008, 05:18 PM

Great thread! Bookmarked!